Sunday 22 March 2015

Skin biopsy and I-123 MIBG scintigraphy findings in idiopathic Parkinson's disease and parkinsonism: A comparative study

Mov Disord. 2015 Mar 17. doi: 10.1002/mds.26189. [Epub ahead of print]
Giannoccaro MP, Donadio V, Incensi A, Pizza F, Cason E, Di Stasi V, Martinelli P, Scaglione C, Capellari S, Treglia G, Liguori R.

BACKGROUND:
123 I-meta-iodobenzylguanidine (123 I-MIBG) myocardial scintigraphy is considered reliable in differentiating idiopathic Parkinson's disease (IPD) from other parkinsonisms, but it is biased by pharmacological treatments. Skin biopsy is not influenced by therapy and has disclosed skin denervation in IPD. Our aims were to compare 123 I-MIBG scintigraphy and skin biopsy findings in IPD and parkinsonisms to (1) verify whether myocardial and skin denervations are linked; (2) explore the simultaneous extent of the autonomic dysfunction.

METHODS:
We studied 22 IPD and 11 parkinsonism patients by means of 123 I-MIBG scintigraphy and skin biopsies.

RESULTS:
In the IPD group, both 123 I-MIBG scintigraphy and skin biopsy results were abnormal in 91% of patients, showing concordance in 82% of cases. In parkinsonisms, results of both tests were normal in all patients.

CONCLUSION:

(1) Skin biopsy and 123 I-MIBG scintigraphy provide comparable results; (2) in IPD, autonomic dysfunctions are often simultaneously widespread at cardiac and skin branches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mild Parkinsonian Signs in a Community Population

One question that many of the PREDICT-PD participants ask me is “I am slower than I used to be, does it mean that I am getting Parkinson’...